ActionAid Mozambique (AAM) seeks an experienced Youth and Community of Practice Advisor, who is able to provide efficient capacity development to both national staff at the ActionAid office and its partner organisations. The focus will be on strengthening the ability of AAM and selected partners’ work with youth on governance as well as engagement in youth platforms and strengthen the ability to show impact. Suitable candidates are motivated and driven by a strong sense of solidarity and commitment to democracy and poverty reduction and youth participation in decision making.
Please note that this position is only available for people are fluent in Portuguese and who are not from or currently residing in Mozambique – see below for further details.
- Strengthen capacity to collect, documentation and share the impact of programmatic work.
- Partners are organized, have enhanced awareness and are monitoring local revenue collection practices and advocating on anti-corruption for better public service provision.
- Support partners and movements in advocating on anti-corruption for better provision of health service and Tax justice progressive reforms.
- Support further development and implementation of the www.NetworkedToolbox.com across the ActionAid Federation through optimizing the cooperation, exchange of experiences, establishment of methods of collecting best practices and enhancing a critical and relevant dialogue between participants of multiple international working groups.
Key result areas
The Advisor’s support will help to ensure:
- Tools and guidelines for impact assessment and documentation work are developed.
- Activista and other partners have received thorough training on conduction research, ensuring documentation of work, youth based advocacy.
- Young people have been empowered to effectively participate in decision-making spaces.
- AAM continue to play a strong and leading role in the ActionAid Federation on the international work on issues related to best practices, quality of documentation and sharing of relevant knowledge tools.
- Capacity to use digital approaches to shared learning has been strengthened.
- Support networking and alliance building with existing and new partners at national and international level.
- Master’s Degree or higher in International Development studies, Political Science or similar fields is a strict requirement.
- Complete fluency in Portuguese and English, written as well as spoken, is essential.
- Ability to mobilize and organise to support campaign around various governance issues, all with youth as central actors.
- Strong skills in engaging youth as key actors in programming.
- Strong experience with
- Ability to provide capacity support and participatory trainings of diverse groups.
- Ability to identify inspirational practices from AAM and partners and communicate these through online, participatory fora.
- Ideally minimum 7 years in youth and governance work with civil society.
- 5 years as advisor or work background in developing countries, preferably Africa.
- Experience with methodologies and practical tools used in youth work, networks, social accountability and political empowerment work in civil society, specific youth.
- Experience with project- and youth programme design, implementation, monitoring, documentation and sharing.
- Coaching and experience from working with youth decentralization processes.
- Good practical IT skills (Working knowledge of Office Pack essential, also Google Docs, Google Hangouts and groups, or similar email discussion software, would be an advantage).
- Profound knowledge of fundraising for youth projects.
- Strategic thinker and analytically strong in youth work.
- Strong in planning, coordination, collect and documentation the impact.
- Strong in connection of the regional and international level activists.
- Good training and facilitation skills.
- Good understanding of history, politics, society and development in Mozambique.
- Diplomacy, patience and maturity.
- Strong ability to continuously develop and maintain overview.
- Resistance to adversity.
Application procedure and deadline
Forward a letter of motivation and an updated CV (totalling no more than 4 pages) in English by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line “Mozambique Advisor”. The application package should not exceed 2 MBs.
Deadline for application submission is: 16th May, 2017
Contract start is subject to approval of work and residence permit, which can be a lengthy process. Therefore, the expected start is around August 2017. The assignment is for 24 months, with the possibility for renewal.
Estimated recruitment process
- 24th May: Shortlisted candidates are contacted
- 29th to 31st May: Skype interviews with shortlisted candidates
- 7th to 8th June: Second round Skype interviews with two final candidates
Due to the large number of applications received for these positions, it is not possible to provide feedback for all applications. Therefore, only shortlisted candidates will be notified at each stage of the recruitment process. If you have not received any reply to your application by 24th May, then should consider yourself unsuccessful for this position.
A comprehensive job description is available for download at: www.actionaid.org/jobs. The job description includes thorough information about the job content, basic salary, and background for the placement. All interested candidates are strongly recommended to go through the detailed job description before applying. For more information on the People4Change program, please visit the ActionAid Denmark website: www.ms.dk. For more information about ActionAid Mozambique, please see http://actionaid.org/mozambique.
The Advisor is placed through ActionAid Denmark’s People4Change program; a people-to-people programme providing development support to ActionAid Country Programs and their partner organisations. As People4Change is a cross-national program, aiming at building tolerance, respect and expertise across cultures and borders, this position is not available for permanent residents of Mozambique. If you are a permanent resident of Mozambique and find this job interesting, please note that similar Advisor placements in other countries are regularly advertised at: www.actionaid.org
For practical questions related the advertised position, please contact: Lacerda Lipangue, ActionAid Mozambique: Lacerda.Lipangue@actionaid.org
We fight poverty by helping the poor to fight for their rights and break the structures, which holds them back in hunger and poverty.We have almost 70 years of experience with development work and our work aims to improve poor people’s conditions of life, in order for them to manage without support in the long run. Our target groups are primarily women and youth. Together with local organizations we work to empower people living in poverty and support them in knowing and demanding their rights, in order for them to build democratic and sustainable societies. As part of the international alliance ActionAid we work with human rights based development in more than 40 countries and reach more than 25 million of the world´s poor.
- Address Denmark
- email contact email@example.com